Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Feast of the Conversion of Saint Paul the Apostle

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Conclusion of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity: We saw the star in the East, and we came to worship Him (Mt 2:2)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 7:1-4 Humility

Mass: Acts 22:3-11 or Acts 9:1-22; Resp Ps 117; Mk 16:15-18

Go out to all the world and tell the Good News.

MARY, QUEEN OF APOSTLES,
PRAY FOR US.

I have thought before that if someone like Saint Paul can be converted, there is hope for all of us, or rather me. If you aren't inspired by his conversion story, you can randomly open any of his letters and be inspired. My random (kind of 😊) search took me to two of my favorite passages, which I extend to you now, with gratitude for your faithful readership, united as we are in faith and prayer: "I give thanks to my God at every remembrance of you, praying always with joy in my every prayer for you" (Ph 1:3). And don't forget to "rejoice in the Lord always, I shall say it again: rejoice! Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Ph 4:4-7). 

Paul, more than anyone else, has shown us what man really is, and in what our nobility consists, and of what virtue this particular animal is capable. Each day he aimed higher; each day he rose up with greater ardor and faced with new eagerness the dangers that threatened him ...
This was why he was far more eager for the shameful abuse that his zeal in preaching brought upon him than we are for the most pleasing honors, mor eager for death than we are for life, for poverty than we are for wealth; he yearned for toil far more than others yearn for rest after toil. The one thing he feared, indeed dreaded, was to offend God; nothing else could sway him. Therefore, the only thing he really wanted was always to please God.
(From a homily by Saint John Chrysostom, bishop, in Office of Readings, January 25)

What is the only thing you really want? 

For a grin: In a recent communication with a friend in Rome, I inquired if my Christmas card arrived yet. I am slowly hearing from other Italian friends who say they just received theirs. In response to my inquiry, my friend responded with this about the Italian Post Office: "It has never been famous for its prompt and expeditious deliver system. I sincerely believe that one day they will even come up with one of St Paul's letters that got somehow waylaid and has only now found itself delivered to the addressee." lol!

SAINT PAUL THE APOSTLE,
BLESSED MARIA GABRIELLA SAGHEDDU,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: It was a privilege to see this the other afternoon. Praise the Lord, all you nations; glorify Him, all you peoples!

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment