Monday, June 28, 2021

Monday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Year of Saint Joseph

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Saints: Saint Irenaeus, Bishop and Martyr (130-202)

Readings of the Day

RB: RB 21 The Deans of the Monastery

Mass: Gn 18:16-33; Resp Ps 103; Mt 8:18-22

Bless the Lord, O my soul.

HEART OF JESUS, ABODE OF JUSTICE AND LOVE,
HAVE MERCY ON US. 

In today's Gospel, a scribe approaches Jesus and confidently says, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go" (Mt 8:19). Do you ever find yourself confidently saying the same to Jesus? Then, when the going gets tough, excuses follow, like one similar to the disciple who said, "Lord, let me go first and bury my father" (Mt 8:21). Yes, the going gets tough. However, as Jesus said more than once, Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me (Mt 16:24). Remember though what Jesus said on another occasion: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (Jn 14:6). Saint Irenaeus picked up his cross and followed Jesus. And so did Saints Peter and Paul who we commemorate tomorrow. We pray to them to help us and guide us. Remain in me, as I remain in you, says the Lord. Whoever remains in me, and I in him, bears fruit plenty (Gospel versicle, Mass). 

Just as God's creature, the sun, is one and the same the world over, so also does the Church's preaching shine everywhere to enlighten all people who want to come to a knowledge of the truth,
(Saint Irenaeus)

With God, nothing is empty of meaning, nothing without symbolism.
(Saint Irenaeus)

Through obedience, listening, and training, man who is created and contingent, grows into the image of the image and likeness of the eternal God.
(Saint Irenaeus)

Life in man is the glory of God; the life of man is the vision of God.
(Saint Irenaeus, from the treatise Against Heresies, in Office of Readings, June 28)

SAINT IRENAEUS,
SAINTS PETER AND PAUL,
SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: The Metolius River, Oregon.

© Gertrude Feick 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment