Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Tuesday of the Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time
Saint Ignatius of Loyola (d. 1556)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 49 How Lent Should Be Observed in the Monastery
Mass: Jr 14:17-22; Resp Ps 79; Mt 13:36-43


Just as an excessive preoccupation over the needs of the body is blameworthy, so too a proper concern about the preservation of one's health and bodily strength for the divine service is praiseworthy, and all should exercise it...
(Constitutions of the Society of Jesus, 292)

For reflection from Ignatius of Loyola, The Spiritual Exercises, 'Contemplation to Attain Love', 234:

I will call back into my memory the gifts I have received-my creation, redemption, and other gifts particular to myself. I will ponder with deep affection how much God our Lord has done for me, and how much he has given me of what he possesses, and consequently how he, the same Lord, desires to give me even his very self, in accordance with his divine design.

Then I will reflect on myself, and consider what I on my part ought in all reason and justice to offer and give to his Divine Majesty, namely, all my possessions, and myself along with them. I will speak as one making and offering with deep affection, and say:

'Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and all my will-all that I have and possess. You, Lord, have given all that to me. I now give it back to you, O Lord. All of it is yours. Dispose of it according to your will. Give me your love and your grace, for that is enough for me.'

SAINT IGNATIUS OF LOYOLA,
PRAY FOR US.





















































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment