Friday, October 20, 2017

Saint Paul of the Cross

Readings of the day: RB 16
Mass: Romans 4:1-8; Resp. Psalm 32; Luke 12:1-7

I don’t know how many times our Lord said, “Do not be afraid,” but I like to think he said it at least 365 times, once for each day of the year. It seems Jesus knew we needed to hear those words over, and over again. In today’s passage from Saint Luke, Jesus tells us two times! Even so, we spend a considerable amount of time being afraid, and worrying about this and that. Then we are given unhelpful advice from too many people, “Oh, stop your worrying.” I prefer the words of Caryll Houselander: “The more you say, ‘I must not worry,’ the more you will: I think it is better simply to offer the worrying to God.” I also offer my fears.

Not one of them has escaped the notice of God. (Lk 12:6)

Can any of you by worrying add a moment to your lifespan?
If even the smallest things are beyond your control, why are you anxious about the rest?
Do not be afraid any longer, little flock, for your Father is pleased to give you the kingdom.
Luke 12:25, 32

I turn to you, Lord, in time of trouble, and you fill me with the joy of salvation.
Psalm 32

May your kindness, O Lord, be upon us;
Who have put our hope in you.
ALLELUIA.

SAINT PAUL OF THE CROSS,
PRAY FOR US.

No comments:

Post a Comment