Monday, June 10, 2019

The Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 7:62-70
Mass: Gn 3:9-15, 20 or Acts 1:12-14; Resp Ps 87; Jn 19:25-34


And all shall sing, in their festive dance: "My home is within you."

Two brief reflections on this Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church, celebrated for the first time last year, May 21, 2018, and celebrated "henceforth on every Monday following Pentecost" (Magnificat, June 2019, p. 464). 

First, with the first line of today's Gospel: "Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdala." I ask myself:  Am I ready to stand by the cross with these courageous and faithful women? Mary, Mother of the Church, and your companions, please intercede for us. 

She stands there-noble, dignified, courageous, strong. Stabat Mater, the mother stood. She had to be there to share his pain, to be part of his mental anguish. She was no casual onlooker, no idle spectator. She shared his pain; she was part of his anguish. Strangely, wondrously, she was mother again. His mother in his hour of need, but our mother as well. We call her mother in our time of need, calling us to be like her-dignified, noble, courageous, strong.
(Basil Hume, Hope from the Cross, p. 36)

Second, we prayed Psalm 38 at the celebration of Lauds this morning. Somehow it seemed fitting as a psalm often is. The psalmist sings the words we need. What psalm is fitting for you today?

Forsake me not, O Lord,; my God, be not far from me!
Come quickly to help me, my Lord and my salvation!

Holy Mary, Mother of the Church, help us to entrust ourselves fully to Jesus and to believe in His love, especially in times of trial, beneath the shadow of the Cross, when our faith is called to mature.
(Pope Francis, Twitter, June 10, 2019)

NB. Today's photo of inside out flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment