Thursday, January 24, 2019

Saint Francis de Sales, Bishop, Doctor of the Church (1567-1622)

Thursday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time
International Day of Education

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 6 Restraint of Speech
Mass: Heb 7:25-8:6; Resp Ps 40; Mk 3:7-12


Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.

The intensity of the scene in today's Gospel appeals to me. Jesus withdraws, a large number of people follow him from near and far: Galilee, Judea, Jerusalem, from Idumea, from beyond the Jordan, and from the neighborhood of Tyre and Sidon. Jesus requests a boat; the crowd was about to crush him. I picture the people reaching out to him, not quietly, those with diseases were pressing upon him. If only we can touch the Master! Unclean spirits were falling down and shouting, 'You are the Son of God.' The Divine Physician warns the people sternly not to make him known.

YOU ARE THE SON OF GOD!

Four things come to mind. 

First, two epigraphs found in a J. Winspear Maisie Dobbs novel:

If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.
(Kahlil Gibran)

He who gives up the smallest part of a secret has the rest no longer in his power.
(Jean Paul Richter)

Second, the Holy Father released his Message for World Day of Social Communications 2019. The pontiff begins with an invitation:

I would like to invite you once again to reflect on the foundation and importance of our being in relation and to rediscover, in the vast array of challenges of the current communications context, the desire of the human person who does not want to be left isolated and alone. 

This is the network we want, a network created not to entrap, but to liberate, to protect a communion of people who are free.
(Pope Francis, Twitter, January 24, 2019)

Third, from the Holy Rule on the restraint of speech:

Let us follow the Prophet's counsel: I said, I have resolved to keep watch over my ways that I may never sin with my tongue. I have put a guard on my mouth. I was silent and was humbled, and I refrained even from good words (Ps 38[39]:2-3.

Fourth, on this International Day of Education, we pray for all students and teachers while remembering all those who are denied an education.


SAINT FRANCIS DE SALES, PRAY FOR US.

No comments:

Post a Comment