Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Wednesday of the Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time

Saints: Blessed Titus Brandsma (1881-1942); Blessed Robert Sutton (1545-1588); Blessed Rudolph Acquaviva and Companions (-1583)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 47 Announcing the Hours for the Work of God

Mass: Jer 15:10, 16-21; Resp Ps 59; Mt 13:44-46

O my strength for you I watch. 

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
PRAY FOR US.

I am with you, to deliver and rescue you, says the Lord.
(Jer 15:20)

It is Wednesday, sometimes called "hump day", a day when we find ourselves in the middle of the week. Much has happened with more to come. We count our blessings and reflect upon those things that have challenged us to grow closer to the Lord. It may be that we just need to rest a little in the arms of our tender, loving and merciful God. The words of the Lord above, to the Prophet Jeremiah, are most comforting. We sing with the psalmist, God is my refuge on the day of distress (Ps 59), and on days with not so much distress too. 

On a random opening of Therese of Lisieux's Story of a Soul, I found this, the first part the Little Flower borrowed from Saint John of the Cross's Spiritual Canticle (stanza 9, no. 7), words she inscribed on her coat of arms, January 1896.

O Jesus, I know it, love is repaid by love alone, and so I searched and I found the way to solace my heart by giving you Love for Love.
(Therese of Lisieux, Story of a Soul, A Study Edition, p. 303)

BLESSED TITUS BRANDSMA,
BLESSED ROBERT SUTTON,
BLESSED RUDOLPH ACQUAVIVA AND COMPANIONS,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: This dahlia is not quite ready yet. Not in distress, as the psalmist sings today, rather, taking refuge, waiting to sing God's praise! 

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment