Friday, February 18, 2022

Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Saint: Blessed John Fiesole OP (c.1386-1455)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 15 The Times for Saying Alleluia

Mass:  James 2:14-24; Resp Ps 112: Mk 8:34-9:1

Light shines through the darkness for the upright.

JUST AS A BODY WITHOUT A SPIRIT IS DEAD,
SO ALSO FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD.
(James 2:26)

Today we commemorate the great Blessed John Fielsole, better known to the world as Fra Angelico. You are likely familiar with his works of art. We know from Butler's that he "was beatified by Pope John Paul II on 3 October 1982 and declared the patron of Christian artists" (February volume, p. 193). It is at the Convento de San Marco in Florence that you will find many of his famous works, including his painting of the Annunciation. It is magnificent. Well placed, it hangs at the top of a set of stairs so when you climb the stairs it comes into view. I wept when I saw it, not expecting to find it there. I remember that day well as I was with my two older sisters who came to visit me in Rome. We spent a day in Florence. Fra Angelico is buried at Santa Maria sopra Minerva in Rome; I used to visit his tomb. For all artists then, we pray to the Lord.

We are also presented with one of my favorite Gospels today. It is there that Jesus is direct: Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me (Mk 8:34). There is no way around it. 

For every disciple of Jesus, the journey will always be a cross-bearing journey.
(Andre Louf in Mercy in Weakness)

The extraordinary greatness of Christianity is not that it provides us with medicine against suffering, but that it gives perspective to our suffering.
(Simone Weil)

FOR WHOEVER WISHES TO SAVE HIS LIFE WILL LOSE IT, BUT WHOEVER LOSES HIS LIFE FOR MY SAKE AND THAT OF THE GOSPEL WILL SAVE IT.
(Mk 8:35)

BLESSED JOHN FIESOLE,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Welcome to Chile! This comes from a fellow Hoosier, now monk at Miraflores Abbey in Chile. We just became acquainted. He contacted me after reading about my recent Solemn Profession and noting that I was born in Muncie, Indiana. It turns out that he was born about 30 miles away from Muncie in Elwood, some years earlier than I, though. 😊 Since our connection, I contacted another monk in the Order, also a native Hoosier. He told me of four other native Hoosiers he knew of who have now gone to glory. RIP. And he is sure there have been others. In any case, God is praised. One never knows who is out there. Go Hoosiers!

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment