Saturday, March 31, 2018

Saturday of Holy Week (Holy Saturday)


Reading of the day: RB 49 How Lent Should Be Observed in the Monastery



Something strange is happening—there is a great silence on earth today, a great silence and stillness. The whole earth keeps silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. God has died in the flesh and hell trembles with fear.
(From an Ancient Homily on Holy Saturday)

WE PRAY:

When I call, answer me, O God of justice;
from anguish you released me;
have mercy and hear me!

How long will your hearts be closed,
will you love what is futile and seek what is false?

It is the Lord who grants favors to those whom he loves;
the Lord hears me whenever I call him.

Fear him; do not sin; ponder on your bed and be still.
Make justice your sacrifice and trust in the Lord.

‘What can bring us happiness?’ many say.
Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord.

You have put into my heart a greater joy
than they have from abundance of corn and new wine.

I will lie down in peace and sleep comes at once
for your alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
(Ps 4)

EVER LIVING AND ALL-POWERFUL GOD,
GRANT US THE GRACES WE NEED TO LOOK FORWARD TO HOLY EASTER WITH JOY AND SPIRITUAL LONGING.
AMEN.





No comments:

Post a Comment