Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Saint Paul Miki and Companions (d. 1597)

Readings of the day: RB 7:56-58
Mass: 1 Kings 8:22-23, 27-30; Resp. Psalm 84; Mark 7:1-13


This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.
In vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine human precepts.

Here, Jesus quotes the Prophet Isaiah in response to more calculated questioning. A response as fitting today as it was then.

The ninth step of humility leads us to refrain from unnecessary speech and to guard our silence by not speaking until we are addressed. That is what scripture recommends with these sayings: Anyone who is forever chattering will not escape sin and there is another saying from a psalm: One who never stops talking loses the right way in life.
(RB 7:56-58)

Incline my heart, O God, to your decrees;
and favor me with your law.
ALLELUIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment