Monday, February 12, 2018

Monday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the day: RB 10 The Night Office in Summertime
Mass: Jm 1:1-11; Resp. Ps 119; Mk 8:11-13


Whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy,
because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

Welcome to Monday. The above words from St James may bring comfort as we begin a new work week, or not. In my experience, when I face trials, I forget I knew they were going to come. Alas, they are not the trials I expected; never the ones I made up in my mind. Therefore, I am not necessarily considering the challenges nothing but joy! Were things really going to be this trying and difficult? My faith begins to waver; doubt creeps in. More wisdom from St James: ‘the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.’ Furthermore, ‘the doubter, being double-minded and unstable in every way, must not expect to receive anything from the Lord.’ That’s me, getting all worked up and wondering what on earth I am doing and what is going to become of it all.

Patience, dear Lord, grant us patience. Strengthen our faith, dear Jesus. Please God, grant us the wisdom to persevere and not get tossed about by the uncertainties of daily life. Help us to endure. Amen. 

May we keep the words of the psalmist in our hearts and on our lips throughout this day.

BE KIND TO ME, LORD, AND I SHALL LIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment