Sunday, July 29, 2018

Having our fill

Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 48:10-21
Mass: 2 K 4:42-44; Resp Ps 145; Ep 4:1-6; Jn 6:1-15


Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed them to those who were reclining, and also as much of the fish as they wanted.

In a meditation on the Eucharist, Tadeusz Dajczer (d. 2009), writes of God's closeness to us, most especially during 'highly difficult moments.' It is during difficult moments, Fr Dajczer comments, that 'God is simply just waiting for me...waiting for me to discover the value and treasure of the Eucharist.' For, 'In every temptation, crisis, fear, or moment of despair, [God] wants to embrace and transform me by this redeeming sacrament.' Thoughts go to 'highly difficult moments' of my life, namely, times when I feel I am not my best self, not responding well to an encounter with another person, or in a situation. It is during these times when I feel most distant from God; when I feel alienated and out of place or sorts. It is not as though I consciously put myself in this state of heart and mind, or that my behavior is pre-meditated. It just happens so to speak. These are times, though, when God's 'mercy can more abundantly flow right into me.' I have found great comfort in these words. When I alienate myself from God and others, the Lord is waiting to embrace and transform me. God's grace is waiting to move me to a better space, a more life-giving space for me and for those with whom I live and work.

Today thousands of people come to Jesus. Most were likely experiencing their own difficult moments. The people saw what Jesus was doing to the sick so they sought Him out. Jesus was waiting for them; He embraced them in their suffering; He fed them on five loaves and two fish. They had their fill and there is plenty left over for all of us. The psalmist reminds us: The hand of the Lord feed us; he answers our needs (Ps 145). When you experience difficult moments, the Lord is close to you, simply waiting to embrace and transform you. God's mercy flows abundantly. Assuredly, The Lord is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth (Ps 145). 


God is in his holy place, God who unites those who dwell in his house; 
he himself gives might and strength to his people.
(Entrance Antiphon, Mass)



No comments:

Post a Comment