Monday, September 16, 2024

Twenty-Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

 September is the Month dedicated to the Sorrowful Mother

Readings for the Rule of Saint Benedict for the Week: Ch 2:33 Qualities of the Abbot - Ch 4 The Tools for Good Works

For He is good, the Lord.

MARY, JOY OF THE AFFLICTED,
SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL, 
PRAY FOR US.

So now, O children, listen to me, be attentive to the words of my mouth!
(Proverbs 7:24)

Dear faithful readers, I'm a bit behind schedule this week due to some traveling. However, I am back. And guess what, this week we are in Saint Benedict's chapter on the Tools for Good Works. Why not take a look at it; you will find plenty of tools to pick up and put to good use. Why not pick just one tool to use this week, beginning with first, "love the Lord God with your whole heart, your whole soul and all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself" (RB 4:1). I think I'll work with placing my hope in God alone (RB 4:41). Our voice for the week certainly did that. I best get busy. ☺

So, for our voice of the week, I turn to Venerable Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan (1928-2002), who spent 12 years as a prisoner in communist Vietnam with more than two thirds of that time in solitary confinement. One might expect such a man to be bitter, resentful, and angry. However, I have read a little of what he wrote and been amazed at his positive attitude and joy. In fact, one colleague of the Cardinal's who worked with him at the National Catholic Register, Kishore Jayabalan, said this about the Cardinal: "He was almost always smiling or laughing, but never in a superficial or happy-go-lucky way. You could tell his joy came through his suffering and identification with Christ." Here are the Cardinal's ten "rules of life." * 

I will live the present moment to its fullest.

I will discern between God and God's works.

I will hold firmly to one secret: prayer.

I will see in the holy Eucharist my only power.

I will have only one wisdom: the science of the cross.

I will seek the peace the world will not give.

I will speak one language and wear one uniform: charity.

I will have one very special love: Mary.

I will carry out a revolution by renewal in the Holy Spirit.

I will remain faithful to my mission in the Church and for the Church as a witness to Jesus Christ.

OUR LADY OF SORROWS,
VENERABLE FRANCIS XAVIER NGUYEN VAN THUAN,
SAINT MIRIN,
POPE SAINT CORNELIUS,
SAINT CYPRIAN,
SAINT NINIAN,
SAINT MARTIN OF FINOJOSA, CISTERCIAN BISHOP,
SAINT ROBERT BELLARMINE,
SAINT HILDEGARD OF BINGEN, BISHOP,
SAINT ALBERT OF JERUSALEM,
SAINT EDITH KEMSING,
SAINT STANISLAW KOSTKA,
SAINT JOSEPH OF CUPERTINO,
SAINT EMILY DE RODAT,
SAINT JANUARIUS,
SAINT THEODORE OF TARSUS,
SAINT ANDREW KIM TAEGON AND PAUL CHONG HASANG,
 AND THEIR COMPANIONS, MARTYRS,
SAINT MATTHEW, APOSTLE AND EVANGELIST,
PRAY FOR US.

* See Tom Hoopes, "Learn Vietnam Hero Cardinal Van Thuan's 10 Rules of Life with Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton," in Seton Reflections, September 16, 2024. 

Today's photo: Sing to Him a new song.

© Gertrude Feick 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment