Monday, February 6, 2023

Monday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time

The Month of February Dedicated to the Holy Family

Saints: Saints Paul Miki and his Companions, The Nagasaki Martyrs (1564/6-1597); Saints Gonsalo Garcia, Peter Baptista and Companions (-1597)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 7:56-58 Humility

Mass: Gn 1:1-19; Resp Ps 104; Mk 6:53-56  

Evening came, and morning followed - the first day.

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL,
PRAY FOR US.

THE HOLY FAMILY, IMAGE OF THE BLESSED TRINITY HERE ON EARTH,
PRAY FOR US.

Let there be light ...
God saw how good it was.
(Gn 1:3, 18)

Welcome to Monday in this month of the Holy Family. Like the people in today's Gospel, we may scurry about. Let us keep our eyes fixed on Christ, though; He is in your town and mine too. Do you recognize Him? Reach out to touch Him, even if only the tassel on His cloak. As many as touched it were healed (Mk 6:56).

We are honored to commemorate the Nagasaki Martyrs this day and hear from an account of their martyrdom:

Our brother, Paul Miki, saw himself standing now in the noblest pulpit he had ever filled. To his "congregation" he began by proclaiming himself a Japanese and a Jesuit. He was dying for the Gospel he preached. He gave thanks to God for this wonderful blessing and he ended his "sermon" with these words: "As I come to this supreme moment in my life, I am sure none of you would suppose I want to deceive you. And so I tell you plainly: there is no way to be saved except the Christian way. My religion teaches me to pardon my enemies and all who have offended me. I do gladly pardon the Emperor and all who have sought my death. I beg them to seek baptism and be Christians themselves.
(From an account of the martyrdom of Saint Paul Miki and his companions, by a contemporary writer, in Office of Readings, February 6)

United in the same faith and in prayer, may we pardon our enemies and all who have offended us. May we live the faith with the same courage of so many who have gone before us. Keep going.

SAINTS PAUL MIKI AND COMPANIONS,
SAINTS GONSALO GARCIA, PETER BAPTISTA AND COMPANIONS,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Welcome to the First Story of Creation as proclaimed this week, literally as seen early this morning. Robed in light as with a cloak. 

© Gertrude Feick 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment