Saturday, February 6, 2021

Saturday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Year of Saint Joseph

Saint Paul Miki and Companions, the Martyrs of Japan (16th century)

First Saturday of the Month

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 7:56-58

Mass: Heb 13:15-17, 20-21; Resp Ps 23; Mk 6:30-34

Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side.

JESUS, COURAGE OF MARTYRS,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

Welcome to the First Saturday of the Month. It may be a good day to pray with the Litany of the Most Holy Name of Jesus. Here are some reasons why with related texts to guide us. 

First, from the Letter to the Hebrews: "Through Jesus, let us continually offer God a sacrifice of praise, that is, the fruit of lips that confess His name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have; God is pleased by sacrifices of that kind" (Heb 13:15-16). 

We confess the Name of Jesus then, while guarding our lips from harmful or deceptive speech (RB 4:51) and remembering Saint Benedict's ninth step of humility, where our holy father Benedict quotes a Proverb and the psalmist: "In a flood of words you will not avoid sinning (Pr 10:19), and A talkative man goes about aimlessly on earth (Ps 140:12)" (RB 7:57-58). 

And lastly, from the writings of Servant of God Elisabeth Leseur (1866-1914).

I wish I could organize a holy crusade against hate and promote justice and love among men and women. At any rate, in this garden God has given me to cultivate, I want to plead by my attitude, my words, and my actions before everyone I meet the great cause of charity. Will I not be defending the cause of God? My God, help us; send a ray of light and love into our midst.
(In Magnificat, January 6, 2021, p. 97)

PAUL MIKI AND COMPANIONS,
SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: I don't think I've ever captured this view before. Taken yesterday, it shows what a beautiful day it was. God is praised.

© Gertrude Feick 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment