Monday, November 6, 2017

Monday of the Thirty-First Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the day: RB 30
Mass: Romans 11:29-36; Resp. Psalm 69; Luke 14:12-14

Anastasis- written through the hand of Mary Katsilometes
 On a few occasions I have heard one Catholic describe another as “a good Catholic.” I have wondered what someone must do to be “a good Catholic” and then questioned whether I am a one, especially when considering Paul’s words to the Romans, namely, “The gifts and call of God are irrevocable.” It seems to me that whether I or someone else labels me as “good” or “bad” is not the point. God loves each one of us unconditionally; His mercy knows no bounds. We are the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind that Jesus invites to dinner. It is the sick who need a doctor, not the healthy. Jesus, the WISE PHYSICIAN, does not call the righteous, HE calls the sinners. God is not going to throw me out for “bad” behavior. That said, do I acknowledge my short comings, or do I take God’s mercy and love for granted? Am I grateful for the Lord’s enduring love and mercy? Instead of wondering if I am good Catholic, or not, it may be better to ask, first, “am I open to receiving LOVE and MERCY?” and second, “how do I respond to LOVE and MERCY?” It seems I should sing and shout for joy:

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
For from him and through him and for him are all things.
To God be glory forever.
Amen.

SEE, YOU LOWLY ONES, AND BE GLAD;
YOU WHO SEEK THE LORD, MAY YOUR HEARTS REVIVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment