Sunday, September 10, 2017

Lectio: Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time


Readings of the day: RB 2:1-10; Ezekiel 33:7-9; Resp. Psalm 95; Romans 13:8-10; Matthew 18:15-20

It was during the celebration of Lauds this morning that a key to better understanding today’s Gospel came to me. As I inserted myself into the intimate dialogue between Father and Son in Psalm 50[51], it came through loud and clear that first and foremost, I must acknowledge my own guilt and sin and pray to God to have mercy on me, and with compassion blot out my offense. In fact, I am moved to get down on my knees and ask our Lord to purify me that I may be clean; to wash me making me whiter than snow. O living and true God, create for me a pure heart; give me the joy of your help; with a spirit of fervor sustain me! It is then, and only then that I can move to teaching transgressors your ways, O God, so sinners may return to you.  



Loving and merciful God, grant me the grace to stand before you with a humble and contrite heart. In the secret of my heart teach me wisdom so that I know in the depths of my being that I owe nothing to my sisters and brothers, except to love them; for love is the fulfillment of the law. Come, let us sing joyfully to the Lord; let us acclaim the rock of our salvation. Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us joyfully sing psalms to our God!


No comments:

Post a Comment