Thursday, November 2, 2017

THE COMMEMORATION OF ALL THE FAITHFUL DEPARTED

Readings of the day: RB 26
Mass: Wisdom 3:1-9; Resp. Psalm 23; Romans 5:5-11 or Romans 6:3-9; John 6:37-40
Readings of the day: RB 26


Mass: Wisdom 3:1-9; Resp. Psalm 23; Romans 5:5-11 or Romans 6:3-9; John 6:37-40

Ujehova ungumalusiwami angiyikuswela.

If my memory serves me right, the above is Psalm 23:1, in Zulu. This psalm verse became dear to me when I was serving in the U.S. Peace Corps in the Republic of South Africa nearly 20 years ago. It happened on several occasions that I needed to hitchhike in order to get from point A to point B, simply for the fact that the distance was too far cycle in one day, and also because I was not in the mood to go to the taxi rank and wait for the next road worthy (on a good day!) taxi to fill with people. All said, one might imagine what it looked like for a 30ish Caucasian woman to be hitching a ride in rural South Africa. I decided I needed an introductory line when I got to the car of whoever pulled over. So, I memorized Psalm 23:1 in Zulu. Thanks be to God, it was a hit with drivers and other passengers too. As a consequence, and gift, Psalm 23 became my friend.


I think of the Psalm today as we Commemorate All the Faithful Departed. What better Psalm to serve as today’s Responsorial Psalm at Mass. I include Psalm 23 for your personal reflection:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.

He guides me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side
with your rod and your staff
that give me courage.

You spread the table before me
in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Only goodness and kindness follow me
all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
for years to come.


LET US PRAY.

For the dead whom we have loved in life.
For all the dead among those who have harmed us.
For all the dead whom no one remembers in prayer.
(Adapted, Magnificat, November 2017, 36.)


IF WE HAVE DIED WITH CHRIST,
WE BELIEVE THAT WE SHALL ALSO LIVE WITH HIM.



No comments:

Post a Comment