Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Year of Saint Joseph

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

700th Anniversary of the Death of Dante Alighieri (1265-1321)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 2:30-32 The Qualities of the Abbot

Mass: Nb 21:4b-9; Resp Ps 78; Ph 2:6-11; Jn 3:13-17

Do not forget the works of the Lord!

WE ADORE YOU, O CHRIST, AND WE BLESS YOU, BECAUSE BY YOUR CROSS YOU HAVE REDEEMED THE WORLD.
(Gospel versicle, Mass)

Every year on this feast, at least for the past few years, I think of something Cardinal Hume said. It shows "how important to him was the crucifix in his chapel in the archbishop's house." May the crucifix in our room, office, or church, be so important to us. And do not forget to be deliberate about signing yourself today, and every day: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 

 I like that because sometimes in the morning when you're tired and have a lot of worries in your head, it's not easy to get the head up to God, so you have to pray with your eyes. Sometimes I just sit and look at the cross and say to myself: in all hospitals there are people dying. A lot of people I meet or who write letters to me are suffering terribly at this moment. So, looking at the cross, I think of all those people sharing that passion, sharing the agony of the Lord. And if God became man-as indeed He did-He came to share a lot of what we have to live and undergo and gives it meaning and purpose and makes it holy. I find that very powerful, and when people say to me, "I'm very worried" or "I've just lost my husband," or "There's been a terrible tragedy in our family-please pray for me," I say, "Yes, I'll do it tomorrow morning." So sitting in the chapel, looking at the crucifix, I remember that person.

SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: The crucifix in our church.

© Gertrude Feick 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment