Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wednesday of the First Week in Ordinary Time

Year of Saint Joseph

Other saints: Saint Hilary of Poitiers, Bishop, Doctor (-367)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 2:23-29

Mass: Heb 2:14-18; Resp Ps 105; Mk 1:29-39

Rejoice, O hearts that seek the Lord!

MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE, SAYS THE LORD. 
I KNOW THEM, AND THEY FOLLOW ME.
(Gospel versicle, Mass)

Here is a progression of sorts. First I read this in the Office of Readings, from a sermon On the Trinity by Saint Hilary of Poitiers: "I am well aware, almighty God and Father, that in my life I owe you a most particular duty. It is to make my every thought and word speak of you." Then this short introduction to Psalm 141: "We can use our treasured capacity for speech to offer prayer, as fragrant incense before God, or to offer hurt to another" (Magnificat, January 13, 2021). In today's Gospel, Jesus goes off to to a deserted place to pray (Mk 1:35). Let's join Him. Part of our prayer can be with the words of the psalmist: "I have called to you, Lord; hasten to help me! Hear my voice when I cry to you. Let my prayer arise before you like incense, the raising of my hands like an evening oblation. Set, O Lord, a guard over my mouth; keep watch at the door of my lips!" (Ps 141).

We can always give praise, in good times and bad, because God is the faithful Friend. This is the foundation of praise: God is the faithful Friend, and His love never fails.
(Pope Francis, General Audience, January 13, 2021)

SAINT HILARY OF POITIERS,
PRAY FOR US.

SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: After a full day of rain yesterday that continues this morning, a reminder of summer sunshine is welcome.

© Gertrude Feick 2021





No comments:

Post a Comment