Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Saint Augustine, Son of St Monica (354 - 430)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch RB 70 The Presumption of Striking Another Monk at Will
Mass: 2 Th 2:1-3a, 14-17; Resp Ps 96; Mt 23:23-26


Theatre at Ostia

Augustine was with his mother at Ostia when she died. Augustine's account of her death can be found in his Confessions, Book IX, Ch X-XI. Before she died, Monica spoke these words to her son: 'Son, as for me, I no longer take delight in anything in this life. What I am doing here now, and why I am here I do not know, now that I have nothing else to hope for in this world. There is only one reason I wanted to remain a little longer in this life, that I should see you a Catholic Christian before I died. This God has granted me superabundantly, for I see you as His servant to the contempt of all worldly happiness. What am I doing here?' (Book IX, Ch 10). What comes to mind are Jesus' words, 'Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened. For everyone who asks, receives, and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened' (Mt 7:7-8). Monica persevered in prayer to God for her son's conversion. She was at peace. Indeed, our heavenly Father gives good things to those who ask him (Mt 7:11).

Come, O Lord, stir us up and call us back, kindle and clasp us, be fragrant to us, draw us to your loveliness. Let us love, let us run!
(St Augustine, Confessions, Book VIII, Ch 4)


Square of the Guilds at Ostia

ST AUGUSTINE, ST MONICA,
PRAY FOR US.




No comments:

Post a Comment