Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Tuesday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the day: RB 19 Our Approach to Prayer
Mass: 2 K 19:9b-11, 14-21, 31-35a, 36; Resp Ps 48; Mt 7:6, 12-14


How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life.

St Benedict echoes the teaching of Jesus in the Prologue of the Holy Rule: ‘Do not be daunted immediately by fear and run away from the road that leads to salvation. It is bound to be narrow at the outset’ (RB Prol 48). I think of when I was ready to join the US Peace Corps some 21 years ago. I had made up my mind and was ready, letting the Peace Corps staff know I was ready to go anywhere in the world immediately. Turns out it was nearly a year later that an invitation for an assignment finally arrived in the mail. This was after filling out applications, having phone interviews, and undergoing medical examinations. I guess ‘they’ did not understand how serious and ready I was. In fact, they knew exactly what they were doing. Good things come to those who wait, and learn patience, and receive the grace to chisel away the ‘I’. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not; In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths (Pr 3:5-6). 

Enter through the narrow gate;
for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction,
and those who enter it are many.

No comments:

Post a Comment