Monday, June 4, 2018

Monday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the day: RB 7:49-50
Mass: 2 P 1:2-7; Resp Ps 91; Mk 12:1-12


I am struck by two passages today. The first comes from the second Letter of St Peter and is fairly straightforward: Make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, virtue with knowledge, knowledge with self-control, self-control with endurance, endurance with devotion, devotion with mutual affection, mutual affection with love. The second, not entirely unrelated, comes from the Office of Readings, by Saint Dorotheus, abbot. There, Dorotheus writes about the root of all disturbance, namely, ‘that no one finds fault with himself’. It is worthwhile to read the passage in its entirety. Provided here is the last paragraph, adapted: This is the way we are. It does not matter how many virtues a person has, even if they are beyond number and limit. If he or she has turned from the path of self-accusation, she will never find peace. She will always be troubled herself, or else she will be a source of trouble for others and all her labors will be wasted. 

Turn to me and have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am alone and poor.
See my lowliness and suffering and take away all my sins, my God.
(Entrance Antiphon, Mass)

No comments:

Post a Comment