Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Saint Turibius of Mogrovejo (1538-1606)

Readings of the day: RB 43:13-19
Mass: Jr 20:10-13; Resp Ps 18; Jn 10:31-42
 
Prophet Jeremiah, Michelangelo
The Lord is with me like a mighty champion.
(Jr 20:11)

In the New American Bible, today’s first reading is in a section entitled: ‘Jeremiah’s Interior Crisis.’ On the prophet’s lips are the words, ‘O Lord of hosts, you who test the just, who probe mind and heart’ (Jr 20:12). How are you interiorly this day? What is the state of your mind and heart? With Jeremiah, we ‘Sing to the Lord, praise the Lord’ (Jr 20:13), remembering the words of the psalmist:
IN MY DISTRESS I CALLED UPON THE LORD, AND HE HEARD MY VOICE.

I love you, O Lord, my strength,
O Lord, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer.

My God, my rock of refuge,
my shield, the horn of salvation, my stronghold!
Praised be the Lord, I exclaim,
and I am safe from my enemies.

The breakers of death surged about me,
the destroying floods overwhelmed me;
The cords of the nether world enmeshed me,
the snares of death overtook me.

In my distress I called upon the Lord
and cried out to my God;
From his temple he heard my voice,
my cry to him reached his ears.
(Resp Ps 18)

THEN THEY TRIED TO ARREST JESUS;
BUT HE ESCAPED FROM THEIR POWER.
(Jn 10:39)

No comments:

Post a Comment