Monday, January 22, 2018

Monday of the Third Week in Ordinary Time

Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children

Readings of the day: RB 5:1-13
Mass: 2 Samuel 5:1-7, 10; Resp. Psalm 89; Mark 3:22-30
 
Thinker on a Rock, Barry Flanagan (British, 1941-2009)
National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
Whoever listens to you listens to me.
(RB 5:6/Lk 10:16)

Some years ago I attended a high school graduation ceremony in my hometown. The valedictorian said something that made me smile; something which comes to mind on occasion. The graduate proudly declared: ‘Finally, we are on our own. We don’t have to do what anyone else tells us to do anymore!’ My immediate thought was, ‘You are in for a big surprise. This is only the beginning. Life is about doing what others tell us, or ask of us.’ I have learned to call this ‘obedience’. The memory is evoked today as we begin Saint Benedict’s first chapter on ‘Obedience’, Ch. 5, the second being Ch. 71, ‘Mutual Obedience’. It is unlikely that obedience will be the topic of too many conversations around the Keurig this Monday morning, wherever you find yourself, although it may be an interesting one to bring up. There are elements of obedience in all our lives, no matter our vocations, or stage on the journey to God: children are obedient to parents, parents to children; sisters to brothers, brothers to sisters; husbands to wives, wives to husbands, employees to bosses, bosses to employees; sisters or brothers to their Abbess or Abbot. We obey the speed limit or risk getting a ticket. God willing, we pay our bills on time. We take the doctor’s recommendations, or not. We listen to our spiritual directors and take to heart what they say, or I guess find another one that suits us better. We give and receive from one another day in and day out. Often, I do things I would not necessarily prefer to do, but I must look outside of myself and see how whatever I am doing benefits or helps those with whom I live and work, and in turn helps my personal growth and development. Surely there were elements of obedience between David and his subjects. We show obedience in the respect and honor we show to others. St Benedict even tells us to ‘earnestly’ compete in obedience to one another (RB 72:6). One motto I inherited from a dear friend and mentor, God rest his soul, was, ‘Say yes, and think about it later.’ I found following this wise advice saves a lot of energy I might otherwise spend on murmuring or grumbling.

What does obedience mean for you?
How does obedience work in your family, in your work team,
with your friends, with those you socialize?
How might you be more obedient to God?
How might you be more obedient to those with whom you live and work?

IT IS LOVE THAT IMPELS US TO PURSUE EVERLASTING LIFE.
(RB 5:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment