Saturday, September 9, 2017

Lectio: Saturday, Twenty-Second Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Peter Claver, Memorial

Readings of the day: RB 1:6-12; Col. 1:21-23; Resp. Psalm 54; Luke 6:1-5

Today’s Gospel prompted me to recall how my family spent Sundays when I was growing up. I don’t remember all the details, but there are significant moments that stand out. We piled in the station wagon and went to Mass, filling up the same pew, week in and week out. We enjoyed the customary Sunday dinner which often consisted of pot roast and mashed potatoes, among other comforts. One of my favorite activities was going for a ride in the car, especially those moments when we were on a country road and my dad would drive over a small hill—my stomach would make a turn as I screamed for more. Sundays stood out as a special day; a day of being together and doing things we didn’t do during the week. I would now call those days holy. How can we make tomorrow especially holy, a day when we sing with the psalmist: This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Saint Peter Claver, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment